Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Are You a Princess?

Kevin, Me, Jess, Carl, and the three silly sisters at church
after Kevin and I renewed our wedding vows
during Mass in celebration of our 12th anniversary.
"Who are you?" the four-year-old who had been sitting on my lap asked me.
"I'm just Trisha," I told her, thinking we were playing some sort of game.  After all, this question was coming from the youngest of the three silly sisters, who I have known since birth.

It wasn't until later that I realized she'd been asking me who I was dressed up as.  As in, what Disney princess are you supposed to be?

This seemed a legit question considering I was wearing the tiara I wore for our wedding and was dressed much fancier than she'd ever seen me.

I had makeup on, a necklace, earrings, a bracelet, my hair done up, and new silver sandals that sparkled.

After going up for Communion, I sat on the other end of the row with Jess and their youngest daughter.  This time, she approached me carefully and whispered into my ear, "Are you a princess?"

I laughed at the question.  I can't remember ever having been asked that in a sincere tone of voice.  I honestly can't remember if I ever disabused her of the idea that I'm a princess, but her mom and I have discussed how this could be to our advantage.  In the event Mommy and Daddy are unsuccessful in conveying some important rule, I can come over dressed up as a princess and lay down the law as prescribed by her parents.                

It was neither the first time or the last that a fictitious character helped intervene in matters of family health, safety, hygiene, and overall wellbeing.  I have used princesses, superheroes, action figures, little ponies, Mr. Potato Head, and a large array of talking animals to teach important lessons about interpersonal relations and how children are to speak to and interact with their parents and other adults.

Do you have any entertaining stories about how you got a point across with the help of Superman, Batman, The Avengers, a Disney Prince or Princess, or a popular cartoon character?  I'd love to hear about it!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...