Saturday, December 2, 2023

Looking at Advent Again

It's yet again time for Advent, the beginning of the liturgical year. I think I'm ready this time, even if my Advent wreath candles are a little warped and melted. I'm ready for a new start, some old family traditions, and some ancient Advent practices. How about you? 

Several years ago I did a series of seven Advent posts based on suggestions to make the most out of this special season. I was rereading some of those ideas this evening and thought I'd share them once more with family and friends. If I've needed these reminders, perhaps others will benefit from them as well.

Excellent Advent Advice Reflection Series 


Part I: Stay Awake The Scripture readings lately have often mentioned the importance of being alert, staying awake, being ready. I find this rather ironic considering that this is often the time of year when people run themselves ragged doing things that they feel are part of getting ready for Christmas… 

Part II: Seek Him Who Seeks You …So often, we think of it being our responsibility to seek the Lord, spend time learning about Jesus Christ, and communing with the Holy Trinity in prayer. When we consider that we are so loved and precious to the Lord that He seeks us out, draws us closer to Him, and creates opportunities for us to know Him better, it’s reassuring… 

Part III: Hold on to Hope …I’m still utterly amazed that she made it through such a difficult period while hiding some very painful secrets by holding on to a pinpoint of light and hope. Her story is further proof God never gives up on us or stops seeking to have a relationship with us that allows us to walk in the Truth… 

Part IV: Celebrate the Season …The house was so warm and inviting. Christmas music was playing. I could smell the soup cooking in the kitchen. Each time the door opened, another one of our CRHP sisters entered and made her rounds to greet everyone with smiles and hugs… 

Part V: Rejoice and Be Glad “At times life is pure joy!” is what’s written on one of the mugs at my mom’s house with a drawing of Snoopy and Woodstock dancing on the front. When I was a baby, my Godmother Marcy decided I looked a bit like... 

Part VI: Give the Gift of Quality Time I have found the gift I treasure most is that of quality time with loved ones. Add some yummy food, and the experience is downright delightful regardless of... 

Part VII: Wait Patiently Around the holidays, we are often made to wait. We wait in long lines to take advantage of a slew of sales, mail packages, purchase Christmas gifts, visit Santa, buy ingredients for holiday meals, and baking festive goodies...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...