Sunday, November 7, 2010

All Saints, All Souls, All Loved Ones Gone on to Eternal Life

     With this past Monday being All Saints’ Day and Tuesday All Souls’ Day, I’ve been thinking a lot about the lives of the saints as well as those of the loved ones who have gone before us. At Mass on Monday evening, we heard about some of those in the communion of saints and were reminded that each and every one of us is called to become a saint, to become holy and sanctified in this life.
     I’ve been reading a great deal about the lives of the saints over the past year as well as asking for the intercession of certain ones in my life and those of my loved ones. I’ve stuck little pieces of paper in a number of books to mark quotes and various passages that are about holiness, becoming holy, etc. It’s rather comforting to know that becoming holy is a lifelong process, not some certain point that you reach and then you’re all set.      At times, I have struggled to believe that being made in God’s image means each and every one of us is holy; yes, even you and me. We each have an inherent good in us which we’re encouraged to allow to grow and expand through God’s grace.
      It’s so much easier for me to see the holiness and what is lovable, from God, and Christ-like in others than it is for me to pick out any of those qualities in myself. I’ve found the same is true of family members and friends often being able to see the goodness in others without being able to perceive the presence of God within them (which is often so obvious to others).
     Lord, I ask that You would open each of us up to answering Your call for us to become holy, to become saints. Help us be more aware of and more receptive to the abundant grace You offer us so that we might live in Your love and submit completely to Your perfect Will. Amen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...