Friday, January 21, 2011

Be Dazzled: Sudden Sparks of Inspiration

I’m often inspired by the kids I teach and take care of, but I had no idea what five hours with a creative nine-year-old would rekindle in me.

Her mom told me she liked to make jewelry and would be content to spend the entire time we were together coming up with new beaded creations. We went to the craft store where I’d been countless times since fifth grade in order to get some more supplies after making a few pieces of jewelry each.

By the time I got in the car to drive to the store, I was inspired again to take up a hobby I hadn’t done much of since I was in middle school. We picked out some more supplies for her bead collection, and I ended up getting several things so I could make jewelry for my mom and sisters for Christmas. I’ve had a blast getting back into jewelry-making all thanks to a day I got to spend with a nine-year-old who reminded me of a creative outlet I thoroughly enjoyed in my youth.     

When growing up my mom, Mary, and I did tons of arts and crafts. We loved making jewelry, and frequently made trips to Ben Franklin, a local craft store, for supplies. We had quite the collection of markers, crayons, colored pencils, glitter, sequins, beads, paper, paints, scissors, glue, clay, popsicle sticks, yarn, thread…and we made and decorated all kinds of things.
    
I’ve never really stopped doing arts and crafts. Working with children, I often get to use crayons, markers, glue, pretty papers, beads, yarn, and things. I also learned how to cross-stitch from my mom and how to knit from my grandma. I picked up scrapbooking and card making interests along the way.
     
I still love paper. Apparently, I have ever since I was little. My mom used to keep wrapping paper in the bottom drawer of the dresser in my room. I used to have so much fun taking it all out and flinging it around. I was nicknamed “the paper monster.” Now, I’m more likely to write on it, fold it, decorate it, etc., but it’s still fun to experiment with.
    
It’d been a while since I’d made jewelry more complicated than ten beads on stretchy string that’s virtually impossible to tie, especially around a squirmy little kid’s wrist or neck. I’m very grateful that a certain someone reignited my passion for making jewelry.
    
Lord, thank You for the many opportunities you give us each day to inspire others with our interests, our creativity, passion, knowledge, generosity, and curiosity. Help us to accept the invitations You give us to celebrate beauty and creativity. Amen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...