Friday, December 2, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 27)


-1-

Laughing Together
     After several months of computer issues, this week, Kevin for the umpteenth time, reloaded all of our programs and transferred the files from our external hard drive.  He’d been so exasperated with all of the technological problems with our laptop that once he’d loaded everything, he didn’t bother checking to see if the latest version of the spiritual autobiography of the two of us (how God brought two very opposite people together and keeps us laughing) was accessible.  After I came home and listened to his many frustrating attempts at resurrecting our computer, I opened a few folders and found what I’d been looking for.  I believed Kevin when he said it was in the hard drive somewhere, but I wasn’t pleased when I couldn’t access it.  It’s been uncovered, and I’m back to working on it! Yippee!

-2-

No Soup for You!
     Several months ago we went to Baker’s Crust, a nearby restaurant, with John, our best friend and dear brother in Christ.  We got him a bowl of Kickin’ Corn and Crab Chowder to go since he’d ordered a salad for his meal and hadn’t yet tasted this amazing soup.  Towards the end of dinner, he said something about having returned a printer to the store.  Kevin and I looked at him in utter disbelief, as earlier that week, we’d spent two hours at John’s place helping him set up a wireless printer.  With the firmness of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, we said, “No soup for you!” and took the bag back until he explained that it wasn’t the printer we’d spent hours fiddling with. 

-3-

Birthday Serendipity
     Wednesday this week, Kevin got to St. Benedict’s before I did for daily Mass, and as is his custom, he was in the commons talking with some of the other regulars we’ve befriended beforehand.  He found out that it was someone’s birthday.  Her husband had been too tired to go out after a long day at work, so Kevin asked me what I thought about taking Janet out for dinner after Mass to celebrate.  I was very touched that he’d come up with such a kind gesture, and the three of us ended up having a great time at Baker’s Crust.  (All three of us got our own bowls of the Kickin’ Corn and Crab Chowder!)
-4-

With One Headlight
     Last night while I was working, John and Kevin had another technological issue that took a couple hours to remedy.  One of John’s headlights was out, and he’d tried to replace it himself earlier in the week without success.  I told him Kevin would be likely to offer his car repair expertise if he wanted assistance, adding that he’d even talk him through the process over the phone if that’s what he preferred. 
     I can’t exactly say I’m surprised that it took Kevin and John about two hours last night to get the headlight working, at least some of the time.  I know how inclined Kevin is to underestimate by hours or days how long it will take him to fix something.  Considering some of the other tech support we’ve provided John over the years, you’d think one of them would have thought early on that the 10-15 minutes Kevin predicted the job would take wouldn’t be anywhere close.  I know Kevin’s been missing working on cars, motorcycles, and such with his close friends from back in Rochester, but this seems to be going a bit far to get some guy bonding time. 

-5-

Fierce Beauty
    “You were not created to be a princess of entitlement but a warrior, fighting to bring love and hope to the world.” -Kim Meeder

     Powerful true life stories, masterful writing, deep faith, and persistent hope are four of the elements that make Kim Meeder’s Fierce Beauty a masterpiece. I’ve read quite a number of Christian books over the years that deal with the topic of physical beauty versus inner beauty, but not many have explored the related pain and conflicts involved with such vivid imagery, lyrical prose, and spiritual wisdom as does this prayer warrior/author.
     I was blown away by the gorgeous settings for these accounts. Kim Meeder is a lover of God and a strong admirer of all of His Creations. Her penchant for adventure and exploration has led her into some crazy encounters with the wilderness. She’s come face-to-face with Galápagos sharks, grizzly bears, and wild horses (just to name a few) and lived to tell the tales…Clickhere to read the entire book review.


-6-

And With Your Spirit: The New Translation of the Mass
     I like it!  Some people have asked what I think of the new translation of the Roman Missal.  I’m very moved by the fervor of the prayers and the lyrical language of praise.  Yes, it will take some getting used to, but I don’t see that as a problem, when it’s helping all of us to slow down and really think about what we’re praying. 
-7-

Still in Discernment
     A friend of ours recently returned from her second stay at an abbey where she is discerning becoming a postulant.  Again, in hearing about her experience and the questions she’s pondering as she considers the consecrated religious life versus married life, my heart ached for her as she is very much in the throes of discernment at this point.  Rereading the first 84 pages I have written of our spiritual memoir, I was reminded of how painful and trying it was for me discerning my primary vocation (after loving and serving the Lord). 
     I encouraged our friend, reminding her that she’s indeed in the best place she can be: she desires and is seeking to do the Lord’s will above all else.  Though it’s hard to be in a waiting period with big life decisions hanging over your head, it changes everything to have your heart and mind set firmly on serving the Lord.  I reminded her of how essential this is and how it’s the perfect place to rest in while “living the questions.”

    Head over to Conversion Diary, to read Jen Fulwiler's wonderful tradition of 7 QuickTakes Friday.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...