Sunday, March 18, 2012

Catechism of the Catholic Church

I honestly never thought I’d write a review of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, but here I go.  I selected this complete and updated edition of the tome because I figured this is one book along with the Bible that every Catholic ought to read from cover to cover at least once.  I presumed the commitment to writing a review of it would help motivate me to read through the 846-page paperback even if the academic dryness I suspected it would have bored me at times. 
    
Imagine my complete and utter astonishment upon discovering this summation of the Catholic faith, as it has been handed down to us through Sacred Scripture, Divine revelation, the apostles, and the saints, is a fascinating read.  I looked forward to diving into the Scriptural texts and tenets of the faith, because they are presented with such brilliance.
     
My heart rejoiced in reading the explanations and explications of the Creed, the Our Father, the proclamation of the Word of God, and the foundations for the celebration of the Liturgy of the Eucharist.  This passionate portrayal of the faith handed down to us by God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit blends the elements of Catholicism I have read about, experienced, and come to understand through prayer in a way no other book has.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church beautifully explains the basic beliefs, moral and ethical teachings, as well as the eternal Truths professed by the Church.  Along with the Bible itself, it is the perfect reference for any questions regarding the history of Christianity and present application of the principles of it.
     
Want to rediscover Catholicism or really grasp it for the first time?  Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
    
I wrote this review of Catechism Of The Catholic Church for the free Catholic book review program, Tiber River. Tiber River is the first Catholic book review site, started in 2000 to help you make informed decisions about Catholic book purchases. I receive free product samples as compensation for writing reviews for Tiber River.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...