Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Big Birthday Celebration Postponed

     So there wasn’t a big celebration planned, but today is a big birthday for Kevin, so he had hoped to enjoy the day.  He took off of work with the intention of getting some time out on his motorcycle, visiting me and the girls, then later having some barbecue at Famous Dave’s and chilling for a bit at the pool at my mom’s with some dessert and (as per his request) a very small gathering of family and a couple friends, but most of that didn’t even happen.  He felt sick yesterday morning, but he went to work anyway.  Mid-afternoon, he left early to come home and crawl into bed.  He wasn’t feeling well this morning, but I knew that he was awake before I left for work and shaving, because he intended to go somewhere, likely on his motorcycle. 
     I was very tempted to get him to promise me not to go anywhere on his motorcycle when he was already feeling crummy and the day was going to be really hot, but I resisted.  I gave him his birthday card.  His main gift is sitting in our living room, all 50 inches of flat-screen TV he’s wanted for years, and I finally consented to in celebration of his monumental birthday this July. 
     I know him all too well.  He did go out on his motorcycle, but he wasn’t out for very long, before he started feeling even worse.  Thankfully, he had the good sense to come home rather than push his luck and head out of town for a long ride.  Poor thing.  He’s spent most of the afternoon and evening curled up in bed.  We’re not sure if it’s a cold or what, but the timing of it has not been appreciated. 
     On one hand, I’m grateful that for months, he’s been saying that he didn’t want to make a big deal out of his birthday, so I decided not to plan a big surprise party or even a he-knows-about-it-already big party.  I respected his wishes and asked a couple people to meet us for dinner and a couple to join us for dessert.  Now, I’m very glad that he wanted to keep things on the down low, because I am certain he would be even more bummed than he already is if we had lots of people, food, and preparation invested in a big bash that he couldn’t enjoy. 

     We’re hoping he’ll feel better, so we can try a low-key celebration this weekend, and a bigger (but just as if not more) informal family/friend party in August when we’re in Rochester.  Sixteen years ago, the summer my mom, sisters, and I first met Kevin and his father, we were there over his birthday and remembered the date for the following year.  For his next birthday we were also staying at the cottage and decorated his front door. 
     Now that Kevin and I are decorating what has become “our Rochester wall,” we have the original card we gave him framed, a whole wooden box of “Shhhh” with his name on it, and a bar of soap with a tugboat in it placed on our new corner shelves.  Kevin’s kept basically all of the letters and gifts I’ve made or bought and given to him over the years, but there is at least one little one that I haven’t seen in years.  We got him a keychain and wrote “Coast Guard” and underneath put the phone number for the local Dunkin Donuts.  We all got a big kick out of that. 
     Lord, thank You for the gift of my husband, who has been an integral part of my life for the past sixteen years.  Back then, he never thought he’d make it to this birthday.  Neither of us ever thought we'd  be approaching our ninth year of marriage to each other.  I’m grateful God always knows better.  I hope and pray we will have lots more than sixteen years of birthdays to celebrate together in the future.  Lord, may Your Will be done!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...