Friday, January 17, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 137) The End of an Era, the Joy of a New Day

-1-
Grace is…a husband who goes to defrost, scrape, and brush off your car on a morning when he doesn’t have to be up and out early, the unmistakable joy of being in the presence of someone you love, big fat snowflakes, the awe of children at nature’s beauty and complexity, a community of Christian women that praises God with its faith, friendship, love, and laughter, reading favorite children’s picture books repeatedly to little ones inclined to curl up on your lap, listening intently and attentively, enjoying the irony of it all, treasured memories…         
-2-
A Beautiful Song My youngest sister posted this uplifting song on her Facebook wall this morning and I must agree that this India Arie song does make for a nice start or finish: 



-3-
Riverdancing on the Roof This morning I awoke to what sounds for all intents and purposes as if there are people riverdancing on the roof of our building.  It’s sunny and cold without a cloud in the sky, so I knew it wasn’t rain or a storm.  The pounding and banging isn’t quite rhythmic enough or melodious enough to be pleasant or entertaining.  The cacophony is mostly making me want to flee the premises. 
     I usually do morning prayer and the daily readings from the Magnificat.  I was highly amused when I got to the Gospel according to Mark 2:1-12.  “They came bringing him a paralytic carried by four men.  Unable to get near Jesus because of the crowd, they opened up the roof above him.  After they had broken through, they let down the mat on which the paralytic was lying.”
     Kevin and I both have questioned the structural integrity of this building, so we’re only sort of joking when we had a discussion about someone falling through the roof into our apartment.    
-4-
Stuff my husband says: Not too long ago, after seeing a commercial in which a man is running on a treadmill in his front yard to create the power to light up all of the Christmas decorations on his house, Kevin suggested that it would be great if there was such a contraption as a treadmill that you could use to power the washer and dryer.  I shook my head sadly and reminded him that we live one the third floor of an apartment building with a laundry room in the basement.  If you take the four flights of stairs down and back up each time you put clothes in the washer, transfer them to the dryer, and retrieve them again, then it has pretty much the same effect.   
-5-
No Longer the Nanny Yesterday was my last day nannying for three silly sisters.  We had a fun day which included watching the snow fall in big flakes during the morning.  Kevin came to visit and got some pictures of me with the girls since all of us were looking pretty in pink.    

     Honestly, I haven’t cried at all, yet.  It hasn’t hit me.  I’m hoping that when it does it will be a gentler, softer grieving period this go-round, made even lighter because we’re still close friends/like family and are welcome to visit whenever.
-6-
Keepin’ It Real The only tried and true March for Babies and Mothers that actually respects life from the moment of conception:
-7-
Inspiring Words This is the most joy-filled, inspiring, faithful call to evangelization I’ve read recently.  Each time I sat down to read some more, I was blown away that it kept getting better and better.  Watch out for those who roll with the Holy Spirit!

Check out Jen Fulwiler’s tradition of 7 Quick Takes Friday at her tremendously popular blog Conversion Diary.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...