Thursday, December 3, 2015

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Popular Songs, Catchy Tunes, and Questionable Lyrics

This is an original piece of artwork I did when
I was on my colored pencil and stencil kick.
Don’t tell me you haven’t done it. I won’t believe you!  

For years there’ve been countless popular, really catchy songs that upon closer examination have weird lyrics, mixed messages, some challenging grammar, special syntax, and the propensity to be seriously screwed up by adults and children alike. 

I might share some of the favorites my husband and I have in another post, but in this one, I'll stick to songs many people have heard on the radio many times.
(Just an fyi, there are some PG-13 words, topics, and humor in the following links to music videos.)  

This is the most hilarious video I have seen thus far of a comedian talking about lyrics he’s misheard.  What’s even funnier is that once you hear Peter Kay's version of these lyrics, you will likely be amused, appalled, and wish this bit lasted another hour or two.

Chanting Preschoolers "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson and featuring Bruno Mars

Sometimes, you don’t even need to mess up the lyrics to make people do a double-take.  I found it impossible to keep a straight face when a group of three-year-olds burst out singing “Up-town funk you up! Uptown funk you up!” over and over again.  

No music was playing.  They started chanting this anthem on their own apropos of nothing I could figure out.  One of the boys wasn’t articulating as clearly as he could have been which made the experience even more surreal in a no-you-didn’t-just-say-that sort of way.

Not-so-High-Fidelity  "Honey, I'm Good" by Andy Grammer

This is a watercolor piece I
accentuated with Sharpie markers.
“Oh, no. Honey, I’m good.  I could have another, but I probably shouldn’t.  I’ve got somebody at home, and if I stay, I might not leave alone.” 

Yes, I’ve seen the music video on Youtube of one couple after another holding up how many months, years, even decades they’ve been together, but if you just listen to the lyrics, then there seems sufficient reason for concern. 

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’d just as soon my significant other didn’t go around calling other fine-looking women “honey.”  I’m just sayin’.  And is this the bartender asking this guy if he wants another drink? or someone propositioning him? or both? 

“I’ve got somebody at home” doesn’t sound like much of a long-term commitment of love and fidelity to me.  Then, you’re undermining any argument you might have had for good judgment by stating that remaining in the same bar/club for longer could persuade you to leave with someone else (who isn’t the ‘somebody’ at home). 

Locked Up Leads to a Love Lockdown "Locked Away" Rock City featuring Adam Levine
  
“If I got locked up today, and they took it all away. Tell me honestly, would you still love me the same?”

This I made using hearts
and paper scraps left over
from my other projects.
Um, yeah no.  I’m not sure what you did that they locked you up, but I can tell you right now that whatever it was, I’m not going to express my love to you in the same way while you’re behind bars as I might if you hadn’t resorted to criminal activity and landed in the slammer. 


“I can’t feel my face when I’m with you, but I love it.”  Okay, I watched the music video for this one, and I’m any not closer to understanding what he means.  I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs, and maybe that’s what it would take for me to comprehend what he’s referring to in this song.  I’m not willing to experiment with these substances, but if you do and/or for some other reason have a clue about why he can’t feel his face when he’s with someone, pray tell. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...