Monday, May 20, 2019

Blessings Abound: Confirmation, Ordination, and First Communion

Vivi receiving her First Communion from
Fr. John Baab, her uncle and Godfather.

In the past two weeks I’ve witnessed a number of joyful occasions filled with blessings.  On Wednesday, I was inspired to go to daily Mass at St. Mary’s Church at 9am. I was delighted when I got there and found out it was a school Mass.  I attended St. Mary's School during 5th, 6th, and half of 7th grade before we moved again.  The new principal and his wife and three children were there to witness him coming into the Catholic Church.  He received his Confirmation and First Communion at the Mass.  What a beautiful thing to witness as a church and school community!

Thursday evening, Bishop Knestout came to St. Michael the Archangel Church to confirm 93 of our youth.  In the fall, I’d taken a slip of paper with the name of a Confirmand and a prayer on it.  I promised to pray for the person during the months leading up to his or her Confirmation.  For the first time ever that evening, I got to meet the gentleman for whom I’d been praying.  I next to the youth minister who I served with at Church of the Epiphany years ago soon after Kevin and I were married there.  She remembered my youngest sister Theresa's Confirmation and that I had been her sponsor.

Deacon Anthony Ferguson and Bishop Knestout after
the Ordination to the Diaconate Mass.
Saturday morning, my mom and I went to the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart  to celebrate the ordination to the diaconate of Anthony Ferguson.  The Mass was again quite beautiful and filled with graces.  Sunday morning, I returned to St. Mary’s with my mom for Deacon Ferguson’s first Mass.  He gave an amazing homily, really knocked it out of the park.

Sunday evening, I was back at St. Michael for Vivi’s First Communion.  She’s the oldest of the silly sisters for whom I nannied for several years.  Her uncle/Godfather Fr. John Baab presided at the Mass and had the privilege of serving Vivi her First Communion.  A number of family members and friends in the area were there to support her.  We all enjoyed a meal at our favorite Mexican restaurant afterwards.

Lord, thank you for the many opportunities you’ve given me this week to celebrate and rejoice in the Sacraments.  Please bless all who have come into the Church, received their First Communion, and been Confirmed with a deeper sense of Your unconditional love and limitless mercy.  Amen.
St. Mary's Church on Wednesday morning May 15, 2019.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...