Friday, June 24, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 4)

-1-
I absolutely loved being lead teacher for RMS Paper Camp!  I've always had a passion for paper and stationery, kids, teaching, arts, and crafts, so this was really been fun.  We made our own paper as a class on Tuesday.  We put scraps of 100% cotton paper, pieces of toilet paper, and water in a bucket to sit overnight, then our awesome camp director kindly put our mix through the blender, prepared the molds and deckles for our papermaking adventure, and helped each of the kids produce a piece of circular paper with colored scraps and a few spices added. 
-2-
I made paper airplanes with my husband Wednesday evening.  His flew better than the one I folded following the instructions from a book on origami, so we used his design at camp as a compare/contrast experiment.  I’m not really surprised my husband’s paper airplane was more aerodynamically sound than mine since he’s always been into trains, planes, and automobiles, and he also has a mischievous streak.
-3-
Boys will be boys.   When I informed Kevin and our best friend/brother in Christ that I would be teaching Paper Camp this week, they asked what we were going to do.  They suggested doing all of the steps in the paper making process, including cutting down trees.  I opted out of such a suggestion for the 2-5 year olds in my camp this week.  Yes, this is a Montessori school, but there are some hands-on experiences that they should save for later on (like using a chainsaw) or never ever (like having an accidental loss of limb). 
     One morning, I joked about this idea with our camp director.  I said I needed to turn in my expense reimbursement sheet for a couple of chainsaws, some very advanced First Aid kits (in the likely event that tourniquets and triage became inevitable), and that I’d need to create some more detailed accident report forms.  She’s used to my sarcasm and sense of humor, so she thought it was quite amusing.  She also knows it would definitely be out of character for someone like me, who is well-versed in the rules and regulations and follows them to a T, to propose any even minimally dangerous activity that would be in violation of any number of DSS regulations.       
-4-
A neat God-incident sent to me by our dear friend/brother in Christ: I recently gave away a bunch of my college time posters to somebody through my company’s classifieds. He sent me $10 to ship them to him. It turned out only to cost $4 so I asked him for a return address to give him the change. He simply asked, “Do you go to church?” To which I said yes. He said, “Put it in the plate.” Then he thanked me and said goodbye.  Pretty cool. Simple charity and goodness. 
-5-
Not just junk in the trunk.  Okay, so I have yet again found something that was missing by cleaning out the trunk of my car.  When I go to some events, I transfer my phone and keys to our camera case, and just carry that with me.  I put the charger and cable in my purse, and just bring the essentials.  The last time I did this, the charger didn’t make it back into the case.  We’ve been looking all over our cars and our apartment for the charger, then I take the beach chairs out of my trunk to put in a bookshelf, and Voila!! There it is!  Thank goodness.  Kevin was really frustrated that such an important piece of electronics had disappeared.  I don’t think I could have gone on our usual trip to Rochester, New York to relax and spend time with Kevin’s side of the family without a camera.  That would be scandalous in Kodak country, even though I have a Panasonic Lumix camera in a Pentax case at this stage in my life.    
-6-
LAUGHING TOGETHER… This acronym became the “menu” for our relationship, long before we were married, and it still fits my husband and me perfectly fourteen years after we first met at his family’s cottage on the lake.  Kevin and I are looking forward to spending some time there, visiting with his side of the family, and strolling down memory lane (well, Kevin will be hobbling since he’s still wearing the big boot, but you get the idea).  We’re most definitely in need of relaxation and good old-fashioned family fun.     
   
-7-
The Catholic Company rocks!  In case you haven’t caught on by now, I absolutely love reading.  I read books and write reviews for a few different companies on a regular basis, and I’ve also had some authors/publicists contact me directly to write a review of their book.  Truth be told, I’m one of those people who likes to have a book wherever I go.  That’s why I’ve got to say that The Catholic Company has been my favorite company for whom to review.  They have a great selection, send the books you select super-fast, approve the book reviews you post quickly, and take care of any technical difficulties that might occur in an efficient manner.  If you love to read and have a blog, go ahead and check out their reviewer program here.  I’d like to give a shout-out to Terry Murphy, author of Emmaus Talk blog, who first told me about The Catholic Company.    
     Check out Jennifer Fulwiler’s 7 Quick Takes Friday series and her high-traffic for good reason blog Conversion Diary.  Because Jennifer just gave birth to their fifth child, a girl, this past Wednesday, this week Hallie Lord is hosting Quick Takes Friday at her blog Betty Beguiles.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...