Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Catholic Update Guide to The Mass

Catholic Update Guide to The Mass is a short, clearly explained guide to the Mass and the changes in the Roman Missal (which will soon be coming to the Catholic Churches near you).  After hearing various compliments and critiques of the new Latin translation of certain prayers, I found this quick read, complete with the new responses the congregation will be praying during the Mass to be very informative and easy to follow. 
     
I can see, in many ways, how this new translation will promote deeper reflection and awareness of what we say and do at Mass.  I know I have been guilty at times of saying the prayers I know by heart without putting as much thought, concentration, and conviction into them as I do when more focused.  Certainly the humility and reverence we ought to have before the Lord seems clearer in the new Roman Missal.  With this in hand, I don’t feel as uncomfortable about the changes, even though I know it will likely take me a while to get use to praying these slightly reworded prayers. 
    
This guide is a very handy reference, small enough to put in a purse or slide into a planner, that will help those who have memorized the responses at Mass learn the new ones and, thereby, have a renewed appreciation for the blessing of the Word of God as well as the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist. 
     
This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Catholic Update Guide to the Mass. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...