Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison

I’ve been looking forward to reading The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison ever since I first learned more about Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan by watching the Road of Hope DVD a few months ago.  I can now tell you that the book was every bit as amazing and awe-inspiring as the film about this priest’s life.  Actually, I believe I have a much greater appreciation for the wisdom imparted in the book through his 1001 short messages written to his congregation while he was in prison because I had already learned so much about his life story, the unimaginable suffering he endured, and the steadfast faith and hope he was given by God and accepted throughout even the darkest times in his life.
     
There are some people whose writing has a powerful capacity to bring me comfort, inspiration, and resonates deeply with me.  Two of the people on that list are Blessed Pope John Paul II and Blessed Mother Teresa.  Any book I’ve read by or about either of them has motivated me to draw closer to the Lord.  Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan is one of those people who I’ll be adding to my list of persons (likely to be canonized as saints) whose words, actions, and entire life glorified the Lord.  His words ring true, emphasize the truth in the Gospel, and ways to live it out in our modern world.

It’s certainly possible to read and get a great deal from the insights and reflections in The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison without other knowledge of this priest’s life and legacy, but in my case, they meant so much more coming from someone who remained faithful to the Lord when brutally tested in mind, body, and spirit. 
     
Do yourself, your family, and your ministry a favor and learn about this holy man of God. You are guaranteed to be inspired.
     
You can purchase the Road of Hope DVD here and The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison book here.  I wrote this review of The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison for the Tiber River Blogger Review program.  Tiber River is the first Catholic book review site, started in 2000 to help you make informed decisions about Catholic book purchases. I receive free product samples as compensation for writing reviews for Tiber River.     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...