Sunday, August 28, 2011

Quality Time With and Without Power

    Though the effects of Hurricane Irene have been obvious up and down the Eastern coast and hundreds of miles inland, Kevin and I had a nice Saturday.  We were able to get some chores and cleaning done early in the day.  We tuned in for a number of hours to The Weather Channel, which really is one of Kevin’s favorite channels to watch, and saw several different weather maps, patterns, warnings, alerts, evacuations, practical suggestions, recommendations, and predictions while we still had electricity and cable. 
     Actually it was long after my mom and a number of other people in our area had lost power that Kevin cooked us cheeseburgers and we watched one of our all-time favorite classic musicals: Singin’ in the Rain.  Ironically enough, we made it through dinner and the movie had just ended when we lost power and it stayed out.  It flickered on and off a number of times throughout the evening, but before then had always come back on and stayed on for a while longer. 
     I talked to my mom, and she was reading a good book.  My sister Theresa was allowed to come home a bit early from work.  I checked in with my sister Mary and her husband Jordan, and she texted me that they were fine, had no power, but were playing Boggle and she was winning. 
     Once it was lights out/candles on Kevin and I seized a good opportunity to make-out during the dark and stormy night.  Eventually we lit some candles and played a game of Scrabble by candlelight and flashlight.  I came away from the game with two observations: 1.) my husband looks particularly handsome in candlelight and 2.) he’s still a worthy opponent for me at Scrabble.
     We talked for a bit, prayed the Rosary together lying in bed, then soon turned in for the night.  Lord, thank You for the blessings You have bestowed upon us today.  Please be with those who have been or will be in harm’s way.  Lead us all to be open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, so that we are there for our neighbors in need.  Amen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...