Friday, January 27, 2012

Faith at Work: Finding Purpose Beyond the Paycheck

Faith at Work: Finding Purpose Beyond the Paycheck is an in-depth look at how and why we can and should strive to live out our Christian values in the workplace.  I really enjoyed this book.  The personal stories, the concrete ideas and suggestions at the end of each chapter as well as the reflection questions added to the Scripture-based reasoning for making Christ-like behavior and a closer relationship with God and others your two main goals.
     
Through quotes from the Bible, the Catechism, popes and saints, Kevin Lowry underlines the importance of putting God at the center of our lives and gives practical advice on how we can do that even at work in ways that are socially acceptable and likely to open the hearts and minds of others to Christ. 
     
This book also resonated deeply with me is because it often made me think of the ways my husband has, through his strong work ethic, moral sense of responsibility, and the genuine care and concern he has for people, been a Christ-like witness to his co-workers.  It’s kind of interesting that what seems so natural for him has to be studied and learned by others.  I know his friendliness and compassion for others has had a much more profound effect on his co-workers than he even realizes. 

Several of the questions also made me think of my supervisor at work, who is one of the kindest, calmest, gentlest, most loving people I know.  I have talked with people at work about faith and passed along various religious and spiritual books I’ve read, but it would be hard for me to say if I’ve been able to make a difference just by who I am and what comes naturally to me.      
     
I love that Lowry includes tips and suggestions that are reasonable and help us accept the sanctifying grace that can come to us through our jobs, if we know where to look and how to respond when we find the challenges.
   
I highly recommend Faith at Work: Finding Purpose Beyond the Paycheck the book and the practice.  The whole time I was reading it, I was praying for a friend who has been really stressed out by her job lately.  I think I’ll deliver this book to her doorstep with a note of encouragement. 
     
This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Faith at Work: Finding Purpose Beyond the Paycheck. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...