Friday, February 17, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 38)


-1-
Best Valentine’s Gift EVER!  Some women go gaga over flowers, jewelry, sappy cards, a romantic dinner by candlelight, and whispered sweet nothings, all of which my husband has tried over the years with somewhat comical success.    
 
Take One: When I was still in college, Kevin arrived at Hollins to take me out to dinner and could only whisper since he’d sung the entire 500+ miles he’d driven to see me.  We did have a romantic dinner out, but his voice was gone so there was lots more whispering. 
 
-2-
Take Two: Another Valentine’s day, we pulled up in the parking lot in a driving rain, Kevin motioned me over to the trunk of his car.  He pulled a vase from my mom’s house out and handed it to me. I gave him a questioning look. He said, “You’re going to need that,” looking at the vase, then he thrust a paper grocery bag into my free hand, adding, “for these.”  I looked inside and saw a dozen roses.

-3-
Take Three: That same year, he gave me a card that had two poodles dressed up sitting at a café table not far from the Eiffel Tower.  I thought it was cute since the year before I’d been studying abroad in Paris, and when Kevin came to visit, we had a bit of a whipped cream incident at a café near Notre Dame. Kevin reminded me of this in a most creative way.  He had put a little spot of white-out on the male’s elbow sleeve. 
-4-
We have a winner!  This year my husband has blessed our marriage with a gift I honestly didn’t realize I’d ever be celebrating.  For almost an entire year, since the beginning of last Lent, my husband has been accompanying me to daily Mass.  Yes, this was the man who had fallen away from the Church and planned never to go back.  The Holy Spirit is still in the business of miracles!  I’m so glad Kevin said yes to the inspiration.  I can’t think of a more beautiful, more loving gift than to have a husband who is a man living out the Catholic faith and responding to Divine promptings for deeper conversion! (The chocolate with toffee in it wasn’t bad, either.)

-5-
DEC OLORES indeed! My husband and I are saying some extra prayers this weekend for the participants of the Men's Cursillo Weekend taking place at Shalom House February 16-19, 2012.  Please join us in raising these individuals up in prayer.  Thanks!  To find out more about the Cursillo movement in your area, click here.

-6-
Rediscover Lent is a wonderful companion for Catholics young and old who desire to make this Lent a time of true transformation in their lives.  This book by Matthew Kelly contains a list of daily readings, a Scripture passage, a reflection, meditation questions, and a prayer for each day of Lent and Holy Week.  With his customary finesse, Kelly invites the reader into a deeper relationship with the Lord through simple practices and disciplines that have been the habits of many popes, saints, priests, religious, and devout laypeople over the centuries…Read more here.  http://printsofgrace.blogspot.com/2012/02/rediscover-lent.html

-7-
40 Days for Life  From Wednesday, February 22, through Sunday, April 1, 40-day campaigns of prayer and fasting, peaceful vigil and community outreach will be held in 258 cities all across the United States (44 states and the District of Columbia) plus Canada, Australia, England, Ireland and Spain!  To see the location closest to you, please go to: http://40daysforlife.com/location/

Head over to Conversion Diary, to read Jen Fulwiler's wonderful tradition of 7 Quick Takes Friday which this Friday is actually being hosted by blogger friend Hallie Lord of Betty Beguiles.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...