Sunday, April 1, 2012

Once Upon an April Fool's Day

It was between St. Patrick’s Day and April Fool’s Day many years ago when my mom shared a very big surprise with her mother who was visiting my parents in Texas the Spring after they got married.  They went to one of their favorite restaurants Magoo’s for St. Patrick’s Day, and Grandma won the contest for the wearing of the green (though she was actually in her favorite color, turquoise). 
     
My mom recalls feeling elated about the news and says my dad was very, very excited since he loved babies.  The newlyweds announced that they were expecting.  My mom had purchased a little baby jumper with Snoopy on it that she took out when she told her mom that she was pregnant.         
    
A couple weeks later, mom called her dad who was back in Rochester, New York, on April Fool’s Day to share the news with him.  She had to assure him that it really wasn’t a joke they were playing on him. 
   
The next October I was born to two joy-filled parents.  I was named Patricia Ann in honor of two generations of Patricias whose lives ended much sooner than expected, my grandmother’s younger sister and my mom’s older sister.  Click here to read the poem I wrote about them.  May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
   
Thanks, Mom and Dad, rest his soul, for welcoming a very big surprise into your life many years ago, then opening your hearts and home to two more daughters down the road! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...