Friday, February 7, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 140) Little Ways to Brighten the Day

-1-
Grace is…people from countries around the world coming together for the Olympic games, realizing that if you’ve impressed upon children the important lesson that they need to wash their hands with soap and water you have taught them a skill and health tip with immeasurable worth, especially in the midst of flu season, a delicious meal at a family-owned restaurant, going to daily Mass with your spouse, learning to be gentle with yourself…
-2-

My Reflection on the Little Way How often in our lives are we challenged by the seemingly small things in our day or on our to-do list?  How attentive are we when doing those many mundane chores that don’t seem very significant?  For me, there are many times I really have to slow down and be aware of being present if I am to do even the most menial daily tasks with great love.  
    Most often we are sanctified by looking to the Lord for love and living each moment, doing each minor task set before us as if we were carrying it out for Jesus Christ Himself.  Does that include washing another load of laundry, preparing another meal, doing more dishes, paying the bills, being the chauffeur, holding the door for someone, smiling to cheer someone else up, and being friendly even when you don’t feel like it?  Yes, it includes all of those things and many more…Read more here.

-3-

Three Gifts of Thérѐse of Lisieux As someone with a special affection for Thérѐse of Lisieux (as well as some other well-known St. Teresas), I knew I’d enjoy reading about how a bishop who considered The Little Flower as a sister to him from the time he was in seminary.  He was inspired to serve the Lord and live out the prescribed “Little Way” she wrote about in her autobiography The Story of a Soul.  Patrick Ahern cherished Thérѐse’s writing and example so much that he went to the trouble of learning French when he was 70 for the sole purpose of being able to read the original manuscript and other works written by scholars in her native tongue.  That to me shows a profound respect for the written word and the desire for an even deeper understanding of a saint he loved dearly…Read the entire book review here.  (Since I already know French, I do believe I'll have to read the book in the original language it was written.  I know much can be lost in translation or gained in reading more than one version.)
-4-
Stuff my husband says: while watching the Opening Olympic ceremonies and in regard to what the United States athletes wear for the Opening Ceremony   
I said: “The only people that should be wearing sweaters like that are the mothers of some of the athletes.”

Kevin said: “Did Grandma forget to take her meds?” and later on: “I think they’re psyching out the competition.  If you look at those sweaters long enough it may create convulsions, possible black-outs.”

-5-
Saving Mr. Banks My mom, Kevin, and I went to see Saving Mr. Banks in the theater last Friday night.  I had to laugh every single time someone in the movie said: “You’re perfectly capable of...”  I find myself saying that all the time, especially to young children who are just discovering the many things they can do on their own if only they’re given a chance or expected to take care of such tasks.  When Sunshine is old enough to see the making of the Disney movie Mary Poppins from the book by the same name, I have a feeling it might make her think of me, hopefully with a smile.    
 
-6-
New Winter Weather Faves There are some children’s books that quickly make it on to my list of favorites to read and share with little ones, and here are two of them I love for winter weather: If It’s Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws which is quite entertaining and can be sung to the tune of “If You’re Happy and You Know It” and Ten on the Sled which can be read/chanted to the tune of “There Were Ten in the Bed…”
-7-
Creative Outlets Often I’m inspired by what the kids I am taking care of and/or teaching are interested in doing.  Watercolors were something Sunshine and I enjoyed doing together often when her twin sisters were sleeping.  I’ve pulled my paints out at home a number of times for a quick creative outlet.  This is one of the pieces that I added additional embellishments to with Sharpie markers once the paint dried.

Check out Jen Fulwiler’s tradition of 7 Quick Takes Friday at her tremendously popular blog Conversion Diary.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...