Monday, June 1, 2015

The Journal My Grandma Gave Me

Grandma gave me this journal years ago.  When I saw it on the bookshelf in the office around the beginning of this May, I checked to see if I had already filled it.  Most of the notebooks in our place and journals (those brand new as well as those initially used for other things), I have filled with journal entries, poems, letters, stories, and reflections over the years.)  I was happy to find something she’d gifted to me so long ago could be of use to me now. 

My maternal grandmother was very good at reusing, recycling, and repurposing things.  Her tendency to hold on to items and not waste food likely became ingrained when she was growing up during The Great Depression.

I’ve tried to make the best of what others have discarded, cast aside, or thrown away.  In that way, I’m like my grandma—not wanting to waste things that can be recycled or repurposed. 

I guess I have long been inspired to create things that are useful, beautiful, and/or innovative (at least to me) using what others saw as worthless, useless, or pointless.  Maybe that’s one of my redeeming qualities.  Perhaps my words or my art will inspire others to see the value in people and love in this life.  

I have been drawing, cutting, pasting, cropping, coloring, and enjoying doing lots of different art projects over the past couple of years.  I may begin sharing some of them online.  Writing is definitely one of my creative outlets, but creating things with paper and other art supplies are also ways I like to express myself. 


“Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true.  With thanksgiving, I’ll be a living sanctuary for You.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...