Sunday, November 6, 2016

21 Days of Thankfulness: My Photographic Attitude of Gratitude Project (Day 3) A Highly-Skilled, Pro-life, NFP-Only OB/GYN

A sign of hope for women, children, families, and healthcare healed.

DAY 3: A Highly-Skilled, Pro-life, NFP-Only OB/GYN


A small sign in the office with a
quote from Padre Pio
Three months ago, I had no idea that I would end up in the emergency room at the end of August due to being in excruciating pain.  I certainly didn't suspect that I would be scrambling to find a new OB/GYN in town.  After all, I'd already found my ideal doctor.  

My ideal OB/GYN doctor is a woman who is not only pro-life and whose practice only uses a scientifically researched and proven method of natural family planning (NFP) called the Creighton Model of Fertility Care, but who is also trained in robotics and NaProTECHNOLOGY (the most cutting edge method of fertility care surgery in the industry).

Yes, there is someone like this who actually exists, and for a time, I only had to go as far as the Southside of Richmond in order to see Dr. Christine Cimo-Hemphill when her office was located at St. Francis Hospital.

I finally had a doctor I could trust completely, who had taken as much time as Kevin and I needed to ask questions, have her explain all of our different options and possible outcomes, and who encouraged me to take better care of my physical health through natural methods (change in diet, increase in exercise) as well as did a panel of blood tests in order to figure out if I needed hormone supplementation and how much would be most beneficial.    

I was devastated when we found out that Dr. Hemphill would be moving out of state.  She had discussed the eventual need for surgery with me over a year ago, but since I wasn't in pain and we'd already been told it was highly unlikely we'd ever be able to have children, I felt it best to wait.  I trusted her completely to do any procedure I needed, but I was too overwhelmed about the prospect when the only other surgery I'd had was to have my wisdom teeth removed my junior year of high school.

Fr. Brian Capuano blesses
the cross held by Dr. Jill
Zackrisson that hangs in the
Dignitas Health office.
In August when waiting for test results at the hospital, I was actually hoping that I was hurting so much because I had something relatively common that would require an emergency surgery that is pretty routine. When they came in and said my appendix is fine, I was very discouraged. I knew that anything related to the mass in my right ovary would be a whole lot more complicated, especially when the surgeon I trust most is several states away now.

How amazing is Dr. Hemphill?  She had no obligation to have anything to do with me since I was no longer her patient, yet she was the one and only doctor who after I contacted her indirectly to let her know what was happening called me at home to check on me and discuss what would most likely need to be done in terms of surgery now that I am in pain.  Wow!  Now that's someone who cares!  

I can't quickly or easily explain how much I had to go through to find another OB/GYN in Richmond I could trust enough to do my surgery, so that will have to wait for another post, or series of them, but there were many people, phone calls, and miles driven before I found the person for the job in Dr. Hemphill's absence.

Members of My A-TEAM: LaDean Barnes, Dr. Jill Zackrisson, and Fr. Brian Capuano
on October 7, 2016, after the Dignitas Health office was officially blessed.

My new primary care physician (who also is my OB/GYN) has since opened her Richmond office officially, so I am again in the capable care of a pro-life, NFP-only, highly competent, doctor.  Her name is Dr. Jill Zackrisson and her practice is Dignitas Health.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...