Sunday, April 1, 2018

Our 18th Triduum as a Couple: The Memories, the Anticipation, and the Joy

On Monday of Holy Week, we had a special EDGE night for our middle schoolers.  We set it up so they could get a taste of what they would experience if they came to take part in the three holiest days of the Church calendar, the Holy Triduum.  

Each middle schooler and their small group teachers got a chance to pray the Stations of the Cross in the sanctuary, wash each other's feet (or hands), and then they came to the parish hall where I talked with them about the significance of Holy Thursday, Good Friday, the Easter Vigil, and Easter Sunday. 

For my presentation, I used some PowerPoint slides I’d made and some pictures from a very special Holy Week in 2000 when Kevin had come down to spend the Triduum with me.  It was after that whirlwind of church services together that led Kevin back to the Catholic faith in which he was raised and away from which he’d fallen for decades.

I ended my presentation with a photo of Kevin to which I’d added a halo for dramatic effect.  

After all, the priest ahead of our Catholic Campus Ministry when I was at Hollins University had found out he’d driven over 600 miles to spend four days going to church with me and aptly named Kevin, “the patron saint of boyfriends.”

This year, Kevin and I were grateful we were both well enough to participate fully in our 18th Triduum as a couple.  It’s hard to believe it’s been that long since Kevin returned to the church and began going to Mass on his own. 

Thursday night we went to a different parish in order to hear our dear brother in Christ, Deacon John Baab, preach.  Friday night we returned to our parish, St. Michael the Archangel, for the Veneration of the Cross.  We were awed and amazed by the beauty of the service.  It was extra special that Vivi, the oldest of the silly sisters for whom I used to nanny, was there with her dad.  It was her first time coming to Good Friday service, and she did well. At one point, she fell asleep on my lap for a little while. It was very sweet.

The Easter Vigil was quite the event.  There were several Baptisms, Confirmations, and First Communions in addition to the usual series of readings and songs that serve as a summary of the Catholic faith.  The environment, liturgy, and music were nothing short of breath-taking.  Kevin and I were grateful to be there and happy I’d been able to talk my mom into joining us.

Afterward, we went to IHOP to celebrate Easter, a tradition we’d begun years ago with our beloved brother John.  

Today the feast continues at my mom’s place.  We’re looking forward to celebrating this Easter season with family and friends!

GOD'S NOT DEAD, HE'S SURELY ALIVE! ALLELUIA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...