Monday, February 28, 2011

Burst: A Story of God's Grace When Life Falls Apart

I’m still reeling from the magnitude of blessings, trials, graces, love, suffering, pain, and triumph former sports reporter Kevin Wells packs into the pages of his spiritual/autobiographical book Burst: A Story of God’s Grace When Life Falls Apart.
    
I became completely entranced by this man’s true story, deep faith, extremely polished writing skills, sense of humor, and acceptance of the Lord’s ability to work in and through people all around him. The mark of a life-changing book for me is that I start coming up with a long list of people I’d love to give copies to even before I’ve reached the last page. That’s what happened while reading this action-packed, profoundly moving, deeply Catholic, and emotionally compelling account of this man’s life, education, family, God incidents, and clear miracles.
    
I simply had to share some of the passages that made me laugh out loud with my husband, Kevin, who found them equally hysterical. I insisted that this be the next book Kevin read and he quickly agreed. I know he will be as moved as I was by the great anecdotes, heartbreaking tragedies, and joy-filled victories contained within this relatively compact testimony to God’s abundant grace, mercy, and unconditional love.  
    
Again, the timing of me reading this book was Divinely orchestrated. Wells cuts to the core of some of the most heart-wrenching, soul-stretching experiences of suffering in life with the precision of a surgical laser beam. This devout cradle Catholic, dedicated husband and father of three, lets the reader inside his head and heart to see what God’s been doing in his life, family, and friends to bring him closer to the Creator and Author of all life.
     
God’s power, love, and fidelity, especially in the midst of suffering and unexpected tragedy, shine forth on every page. Whether you are a weekly church-goer or a somewhat indifferent fallen away Christian, an avid sports fan or more of a couch potato, I am sure you will be very impressed by the writing ability, strong, likable voice, and truly miraculous story of Kevin Wells.
    
This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Burst - A Story of God's Grace When Life Falls Apart. They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

4 comments:

  1. Trisha, Thanks so much for your superb review of Burst, but most of all - for tapping into the true message of the book. I am grateful. You are a kind soul.
    I am now a follower of Prints of Grace! Have a relaxing Sunday.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most certainly welcome. It's always great to hear from the authors of wonderful books that they're happy with the review I've written and that I really got the heart of the book's message. We Catholic writers and readers need to support one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read about this book in the Loyola University magazine. It's my turn to choose a book for book-club, so I thought I'd google around for some reviews on this book. This one hit the mark! I will choose this book for our selection for May! I knew and loved Msgr. Wells, so it will have personal meaning for me as well. Thank you, Kevin, for writing it - and thank you, Trisha, for the beautiful, honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, this book is absolutely phenomenal, and I know your book club will get a lot out of it! You'll no doubt have some great discussions inspired by the stories and struggles, life lessons and clear blessings!

    The writing and many examples of God's grace make such a powerful story.

    I'm glad you found this review, and that it helped you pick a wonderful book for you to read and share in May.

    God bless and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...