Thursday, February 10, 2011

To Baby Margarette's Parents on the Day of Her Funeral Mass

Dear Frank and Rose,    
    
From the moment of conception, God calls parents to love their child as selflessly as is humanly possible. He gives us the grace to believe and love what we cannot see, hear, or feel at the beginning. God asks parents to be guardians of life at its most vulnerable time. He invites us to respect and protect the dignity and sanctity of every human life. The best gift parents can offer their children is to love them as unconditionally as possible and give them back to the Lord so He may work in and through them in any and all ways He sees fit.
    
Since Margarette was conceived, you have loved her, welcomed her as part of your family, and done whatever you could to honor the precious life growing within you. You lived up to one of the greatest challenges parents face, you did what was most difficult and chose life, God, and love, when doctors and others recommended abortion, death, and lies about what would be best.
    
Though her life was shorter than expected, you did everything God asks of parents. You loved her the entire time she was on this earth and took the best care of her possible while she was here. The love between you and Margarette will always remain. She will be there to greet you at the gates of Heaven...

Before Kevin came back to the Catholic Church, I would often write different Scripture verses and songs on my letters and cards to him. One I love is that: “Eye has not seen/ear has not heard/what God has ready/for those who love Him.” Heaven is better than we can possibly imagine. Oneness with the Lord is indeed the fulfillment of all our earthly desires.

I pray that the Holy Spirit will give you a profound peace which passes all understanding as you wade through the waters of grief and hold on to the promise of everlasting life...

"You are here for just a short time...to discover and believe that you are a beloved child of God." -Henri Nouwen

"For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come , nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back…to the place from which I carried you into exile.”  Jeremiah 29:11-14

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully beautiful post. I'm so glad you wrote it. They showed holy courage and love. God has already and will continue to bless them. I love the scripture verses too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...