Saturday, April 16, 2011

God is Near

     "Nothing we do to defend the human person, no matter how small, is ever unfruitful or forgotten. Our actions touch other lives and move other hearts in ways we can never fully understand in this world," said Archbishop Chaput. "Don't ever underestimate the beauty and power of the witness you give in your pro-life work." I was wondering how to tie together the many blessings that God has brought into my life through being involved in the pro-life movement, and I found the above quote in the 40 Days for Life blog post for today, Day 39 of the campaign. http://40daysforlife.com/blog/?p=2085
     Knowing the hard work that others have put in to make this prayer vigil a success, the number of people who have been at our local vigil every single day to pray for an hour, and the lives that have been transformed through peaceful prayer—those of the volunteers and those to whom they minister—I am acutely aware that God is near.
     Yesterday, while praying at the vigil, two women driving out of the clinic had their car windows down. I asked if I could give the woman a card. She said yes, then watched as I dug through my overstuffed little pouch for a couple minutes before I finally found the card with the contact information for the couple who heads up the post-abortion healing ministry in our area. I was embarrassed that I didn’t have the information readily available.
     I’m sure I looked ridiculous sorting through my small bag, putting prayer books on the ground, and fumbling around before I extracted my business card case. Instead of driving off or closing the window, they waited for me to get things together. I also gave the woman a Pregnancy Resource Center brochure. I wasn’t sure of the purpose of her visit, so I figured I’d cover all the bases.
     I prayed for them as they pulled out of the parking lot. I had to marvel that God had again used someone as flawed and flustered as I can be to extend a smile and gesture of concern. Maybe the two women even had a good laugh as they pulled away, amused by how much I had crammed into such a tiny little purse.
     “Unless you are willing to do the ridiculous. God will not do the miraculous.” Mother Angelica has said. I’d like to think that my totally inept juggling act was sufficiently ridiculous that God might use it as part of His plan to do something miraculous.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...