Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Mom: A Woman with a Mission

I love my mom and really admire her moral courage. I’ve learned a great deal from my grandmother and her about what it means to be a woman of faith, a true prayer warrior. If it weren’t for my mom, it’s possible that there wouldn’t be a Spring 40 Days for Life vigil happening in Richmond right now. Her consistent prayer coverage, unbridled enthusiasm, and a strong conviction that has come from a great deal of prayer and discernment have inspired many to be involved in this 40 days of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving to end abortion.

My mom was overjoyed at the planning meetings leading up to this season’s Lenten vigil because more people showed up than had in previous years, and all came with ideas of how to make this the best 40 Days for Life campaign yet.
  
I can’t even count the number of blessings that have entered my life and those of family and friends as a result of this vigil happening yet again in our area this spring as one of the 247 locations around the world joining together in prayer.
 
The other day I arrived at the vigil and two women were already there praying. I joined them, and just before they left, one of the women asked me if I’d pray for her daughter who is pregnant and has been given a poor diagnosis. I told her I’d certainly keep her daughter in prayer and asked if she knew the woman in our diocese who heads up the Office for Persons with Disabilities or if she’d heard about the new local chapter of a ministry called Be Not Afraid, for women and men who have been given a poor pregnancy diagnosis. With tears in her eyes, she thanked me for the information, and we both left feeling certain our paths had crossed for an important reason.
 
Though my mom doesn’t like public speaking or being interviewed on TV, she has done both when asked to for 40 Days for Life. It strikes me as a true mark of someone who is passionate about a mission accepted from the Lord and humble enough to do what she hates the most in order for the Gospel of Life to be spread more effectively.
 
Mom, I love you and am beyond grateful for the role model of faith, ongoing discernment, fervent prayer, and spirit of service you’ve been for me and so many others. I’m proud to tell people at the vigil that you’re my mom. They always have wonderful things to say about you, which I can only smile and affirm.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...