Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Book of Joy by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams

A Christian woman of faith who devours books like I do recommended that I read The Book of Joy.  I'm so glad that she did.  It's a wonderful look at what brings true joy into our lives by two spiritual prayer warriors of our time.

For Christmas, my mom gave me Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness by Ingrid Fetell Lee.  I read and loved the practical suggestions and explanations for what brings us joy.  I figured I'd keep on reading on the same theme only from a spiritual perspective.

The Book of Joy includes some wonderful exchanges from two very well-known spiritual leaders of different faith traditions.  They are dear friends who have a deep respect for one another and a profound reverence for God. 

They share their own spiritual practices, how they have overcome significant oppression and hardships, and the ways that they maintain a joyful existence regardless of outside circumstances.

I highly recommend reading this book.  It's a beautiful account of a long-term friendship between two elderly men from whose wisdom we can all learn.   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...