Sunday, April 28, 2019

Courageously Uncomfortable by Lisa J. Goins

There’s a pattern in what I’ve been reading, watching, and listening to lately: they all include aspects of courage and vulnerability.  

In the past, I’ve written about Living the Lie that Everything’s Fine.  I’m familiar with the concept and how it can easily play out in my own life.
 
It’s true. God often calls us to step out and step up in ways that are outside of our comfort zones—at times way outside of them.  By examining the stories of certain women in the Bible, Lisa J. Goins illustrates how we can get beyond our sinful, sordid pasts to do something great for God, which He has always intended to accomplish in, for, and through us. 

The four questions at the end of each chapter are thought-provoking, and, at least in my case, would take a page or more of journaling to answer in earnest.  I didn’t write in this book because when something inspires me, I like to pass it on.  These questions made me uncomfortable, which tells me I’ve got lots more work to do in this area of my life. 

Lisa uses personal examples as well as from those in her “squad,” but I would have liked to see a few more in-depth stories from her own life, particularly regarding what she’s overcome in the past with the help and forgiveness of the Lord.  She alludes to an array of challenges, but she doesn’t go as deep as she could about any one. 

I appreciate the author’s sense of humor incorporated into the book, specifically when she is telling her own tales of woe and woah.  I admire Lisa for putting herself out there through writing, publishing, and promoting her book.  All of those steps require courage and mean overcoming a certain level of being uncomfortable. 

I recommend reading Courageously Uncomfortable if you happen to be a Christian woman who struggles to feel worthy, lovable, capable, and/or useful to God. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...