Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reflections on the Second Anniversary of My Dad's Death

Two years ago this morning (Monday, August 10, 2009) my dad James Lester Niermeyer passed away at the age of 54.  I learned a lot from my dad over the years, and quite honestly, I’m still examining my own life in light of his.  I find this a bit easier to do now that I have a sense that he’s finally able to love and allow himself to be loved unconditionally.  I also am comforted that he is now completely at peace with himself, God, and others.
     
Through the grace of God, my dad and I reconciled completely three years before he passed away.  I had the blessing of helping take care of him as his physical health deteriorated and his faith was put to the test. 
     
I brought him the Eucharist each week.  We read the readings together, held hands for the Our Father, did some intercessory prayer for each of our special intentions, then I gave him the Body of Christ. 
     
Lord, thank You for the gift of Your Beloved Son to unite us and teach us to love.  Amen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...